So as I've mentioned before we're using this book, The Baby Whisperer, to try and get Ellie sleeping better. Well, there are a few things that work but some that don't.
What works:
--E.A.S.Y.: I love this method. It does help to keep this routine although I think it's what most moms do anyway without reading the book. And I'm big on schedule/routine so I like it because of what it is.
--swaddling: we never swaddled Adam after we got home from the hospital with him. And we quit swaddling Ellie after we got home, too, but started again when reading this book. Now she automatically puts her arms down when we lay her in her bed like she knows what to do.
--setting the mood: maybe, but Ellie likes when people are talking and things are going on. She falls asleep easier out in the living room than when we go in her room and try to put her down for bed at night.
--dream feed: Great idea! Who isn't up until 10 anyway and this gets you an hour or two more of sleep. Wish I could just do this all night.
What doesn't work:
--shushing by her ear: she hates this! Sometimes I shush a little bit but it doesn't seem to calm her one way or the other and if you get by her ear she starts screaming even harder.
--sitting without any other physical movement: I'm sorry but who can hold a baby and not rock them or pat their back or rub their head? And Ellie loves these things. This just isn't happening.
And I know, every baby is different so some things work and some don't. Not trying to sound so negative. I really want to contact this lady and have her come here and show me how she does it since she basically says if you do these things it is foolproof. And I have friends who swear by this so no offense to you guys. I do like the book and some of it works, but I'm still skeptical about other parts.
August 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I only used parts of the book...some of it I didn't agree or changed it a bit to fit us better.
ReplyDeleteYou might try looking at the website too, there are message boards that have some great ides too.
Ditto with what Paula said. Shushing works well with Grayson, but only if you do it lightly. I always rock him slightly when I sit with him, too. We are now having some issues with the whole Pick Up/Put Down method when he is crying... I haven't bought into this portion of it yet.
ReplyDeleteI think that you are right that it is what most families end up doing anyway with their babies but it really helped me to validate what I was doing so I didn't feel like I was flying blind. It is such common sense, but having it spelled out helped.
We also love the dreamfeed!