September 30, 2008

Why Are Our Kids Such Bad Eaters?

The whole time I was pregnant with Ellie I prayed for a better sleeper and a better eater than Adam. Well, she makes Adam look good! We thought he was bad but Ellie has turned out to be a horrible sleeper (until the past week and a half) and an even worse eater! She honestly only ate 18 ounces today. Everything I read says that at 3-4 months she should be up to 30-36 ounces. We're lucky if she eats 20 a day. I guess she's gaining weight. I could take her in and have it checked but she is acting fine and sleeping well at night, only getting up once to eat so I guess I shouldn't worry. I'll ask about it at her four month checkup, which is on Halloween.

And then there's Adam. He never eats vegetables, ever, and never eats what we're having for dinner. We always have to make him something different, which we said we'd never do. I'm thinking when he's 3, maybe 4, we'll have to start making him stay at the table until he takes one bite of something. I don't know. The pediatrician says to puree veggies and mix it in with things but how do you do that with hot dogs, or cereal bars? He doesn't eat anything you could mix it with. He will eat fruit but lately we have to make him eat that. I know part of it is he drinks way too much milk during the day. I just bought a gallon of milk for him Sunday afternoon (so he didn't even drink from that gallon the whole day) and already had to buy another one tonight. A whole gallon only lasted him 2 1/2 days. Crazy! But we've been cutting back even. I don't let him have milk until he's eaten some food, including fruit. We've tried the whole "sit at the table and take a bite of veggies or you can't get down" thing and he'll honestly sit there forever and cry. He refuses to try one little bite. And they are the tiniest bites ever!

Anyway, I just felt the need to wonder why our kids are so picky. I did read the other day in a magazine that part of it is genetic, which means our kids are doomed! The other part is learned, again they're doomed! And I forget the other part. But I eat pretty good and have been trying new things the last year or so. Bradley on the other hand is very picky...but he tries, especially since we've had kids. Will this ever pass? It can't be a phase that's lasted almost 2 1/2 years!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a first time visitor - so I am hesitant to say too much - Having picky eaters is hard.

    How old is your son - sometimes that makes a difference in how strict you can be with his choices, cutting back on his milk intake is a good start - he is probably full from the milk. Wonder what would happen if there wasn't any hotdogs or cereal bars in the house? Would he eat what was on the table then? He has to believe there are no other choices.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete