Our traditional day-after-Thanksgiving involves putting up the Christmas tree, decorations, and lights. That's exactly what we did today. We got the tree put up first thing this morning and Adam informed us that he needed a small tree for his room. I have no idea where he got this idea but I liked it. My mom has a small one they aren't using anymore but when I was at Aldi this morning I found a four foot one there so I bought that. I really bought it to put on the front porch but we ended up putting it in Adam's room until we get the other one from my mom. Then Bradley got the lights put up outside and I put all the other decorations up. It definitely started getting me in the Christmas spirit. I'm excited for this year since Adam is more able to enjoy it. Except now we'll have to wait until Christmas Eve to put gifts under the tree. I'm also looking forward to making cookies with Adam and putting them out for Santa. I got some fun Christmas cookie cutters so we can make sugar cookies and he can decorate them. That should be fun.
The rest of the day we just hung out. I really like when we all four play together. We did that for a little bit before dinner and it's just nice being a family. There isn't much time lately when we're all four home at the same time, let alone in the same room doing the same thing. After dinner we went on a walk to look at the Christmas lights. Adam is really into them this year and it wasn't too freezing cold.
Bradley decided that Friday nights are family nights where the kids can stay up late and watch movies or something. So, tonight we're cuddling in bed (well, Adam and I are while Bradley is on the computer doing homework) watching the Polar Express and Spongebob.
I can't believe Christmas is only 27 days away. I have so many things to get done in those 27 days. I am making scrapbook calendars for some gifts and haven't even started on those. I have six of them to do and last year I only did five and it took me forever! I'm going to be pushing that project this year. I also have to get the Christmas cards made, ordered, and mailed. I'm hoping to do that tomorrow...get the pictures taken and get them ordered. Plus I have to write the yearly family letter I include with those. Talk about stress in our lives right now! The house is such a mess lately that it's driving me bonkers but I just don't know where to put things. It's not really dirty, I'm keeping up with the cleaning fairly well, it's just the "stuff" everywhere. That bothers me and then just the usual stress of holidays with a million family members to see and traveling with two kids. Plus, Bradley only has two weeks of classes left for this semester so he's really stressing on getting all his homework done, a paper written, and a final coming up. I know, that's just life, but it's still stressful! We talked on the drive down to his parents yesterday about how it's important to enjoy our life in the moment, not rush through things, because before we know it the kids will be grown and we'll wonder where the time has gone. It's just so hard to do. I need a daily reminder because my mind doesn't think like that. It's so hard to get into new habits. I'm not sure how to change my frame of mind but my New Year's resolution, along with losing weight, is going to be to be a happier and nicer person, to enjoy life as it is, not "want" so much.
November 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment